Friday, February 23, 2007

Vaccines for Travel

After considering the pros and cons of getting vaccines before traveling to China, I decided to get the Hep A vaccine yesterday. This vaccine is recommend (although not required) by the CDC for Americans traveling to China. A friend had a bad reaction to the vaccine so I was reluctant, but decided to be on the safe side. I've had no bad reaction, I think that's pretty rare. I'll need to go back for a second dose in 6 months, although hopefully I will have traveled and be back home at that time. Even if I'm back home safe and sound, I'll go ahead and get the second dose since I've started it. The Hep A virus is introduced through the GI tract, so travelers can be exposed through contaminated food or water, or from another person who is infected with the virus. The nurse giving me the vaccine said that a person can pick up the Hep A virus and not even be aware of having it, but you can be a carrier and pass it on unknowingly. I'm recommending that my four travel mates also receive the vaccine, but that's a personal decision. I almost didn't have it myself. While I was there yesterday I went ahead and got the flu shot, although it's late in the season. May as well get all the coverage I can and I recommend the flu shot for my group as well. I received the Hep B vaccines years ago so I'm covered on that, but my travel mates should look into it and make a decision about that one also.

2 comments:

Adoptamomma said...

What other vaccines do you plan to get? I went to the CDC website at
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/eastasia.htm#vaccines. It seems nothing is required but several vaccines are or may be recommended. Are you going to have all of those in that category?

chinakat said...

I am going to get the new tetanus shot that also covers you for diptheria and pertussis. tDAP is what they call it. You need a tetanus shot anyway if you haven't had one in ten years. I think it's been about 8 for me. Pertussis is whooping cough, and I think I have heard of babies in China having whooping cough when they are adopted. That could be just in the winter, not sure. But if one of our group had that....or our own baby...that would give us some protection. I think we should all have that one without any hesitation because you need a current tetanus shot anyway, whether you are traveling anywhere or not.

Also recommended are Typhoid and Japanese encephalitis vaccines - I need to do some more research on those and probably won't make a decision until we receive the referral/travel information. At that point we will know what areas we will be in. I think the need for those depend on the time of year traveling and province(s) to be visited.

I'm glad you mentioned the CDC website because I think all of us should go there to read up on these diseases and what protection is recommended. Then if travelers decide not to get the vaccines, that's fine, but at least informed decisions have been made.